Sunday, December 28, 2008

Song of the Morning: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down


The last few days have been a little stressful for me, culminating this morning. I've been trying to study for my concluding oral exam without actually knowing the exact nature or subject matter of the test. I was told it was more of a conversation (which indeed it turned out to be) but that did little to avail my anxiety. What actually did help was the gem of discovering The Tallest Man on Earth, whom I've already mentioned here before. Listening to his music is simply enchanting.

Anyway, my sleep was also affected and so I woke a couple of times, wondering if it was time yet to get up and turn on the water heater (it wasn't). The last time I awoke was with Joan Baez's rendition of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (originally by the Band) playing in my head. I don't know why. I haven't listened to it in a few days and I can't say why it was significant for me, if at all, to hear it at this specific point in time. Was it some sort of an attempt to comfort myself? If so, why with this specific song? Does it have anything to do with the feeling of rather tragic (and futile) defiance emanating from the song? Am I trying to tell something to myself?

By the way, I totally aced it. :-)

Joan Baez's picture is from her Last.fm page. Also check her official website and MySpace page for updates.

Joan Baez - The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (live)

No comments: