Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Featured Artist(s): Yeasayer

I've known Yeasayer for about six months or so but it's been only fairly recently that I've really came to appreciate them. Their own unique sound, the mystery (at least to me) that veils their persons (and the fact I'm having difficulty trying to figure out all the lyrics for the chorus of "2080") have all contributed to my interest. But the final push I needed was that I've finally watched the attached video (originally from YouTube, though I saw it on the wonderful music blog Mr. Mammoth).

As you may have noticed, I'm not much of an art critic. I just love it. A significant part of what I admire so much in it is the feelings and emotions expressed by and with it and the overwhelming joy of creation that is so evident sometimes. Those sometimes when you are just awed and privileged, when you are a participating part of the creative process perhaps by simply being there, perhaps by connecting in a deeper level. Each time you re-visit it it will be different, as though it is alive. Is it, extrapolating from Sartre and Levinas, your self reflected in the work of art you are observing, so you simply recognize different pieces of your self each time? Or am I just too tired and presumptuous?

Anyway, what I mean to say, is that on the video you can see Yeasayer creating, and you can feel it as well in the people around them. That's art.

Yeasayer - 2080

No comments: